QAECO is a large group of individuals at different stages on diverse career paths, working together in a research-intensive environment. We value diversity in the research topics, styles and skills of our members and recognise that diverse teams are better equipped to solve environmental and scientific problems. We also understand that the people in our labs are diverse. We want everybody to be included, supported and equipped to do their best work.
The QAECO and CEBRA Diversity and Inclusion Group (DIG) aim to foster an equitable environment for all members of our lab, including students at all levels as well as visitors. We do this by meeting, discussing, and taking actions in our research lab that foster diversity and inclusion.
Some of our priorities include:
- Recruiting and retaining a diverse research community
- Understanding the lab’s needs with regard to diversity and inclusion
- Ensuring physical spaces and infrastructure are accessible and inclusive
- Using technology to remove barriers to participation
Among us, we have a range of:
- ages, genders, sexual orientations,
- racial, cultural, professional and religious backgrounds,
- social and economic circumstances,
- physical capability and mental health,
- parenting, care-taking and other responsibilities outside of work,
as well as other factors that reflect who we are and affect how we participate in our labs.
If you have an idea or suggestion about diversity and inclusion within QAECO, please let us know via our anonymous online suggestion box.
You’re also most welcome to come to join one or more of our monthly DIG meetings on the first Thursday of the month at midday.
You can also email or approach any DIG members directly:
To report incidents of discrimination, sexual harassment or bullying:
- Students and lab visitors can access the Safer Community Program.
- Staff should first, if possible, discuss issues with their line manager and/or local HR representative. They can also access the Employee Assistance Program, make an online report to the Inappropriate Workplace Behaviour Line, or call 1800 685 463 during business hours.
QAECO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land on which we work and pay our respects to their Elders, past, present and future.